Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Honor Your Father

Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. “Honor your father and mother” (this is the first commandment with a promise), “that it may go well with you and that you may live long in the land.”                                                                   Ephesians 6:1-3


Lately my heart has really been aching for my husband. He is a terrific provider for our family, a  great husband and a very loving father. My problem is the way my children treat their father. I do no feel that my children love and honor their father the way that they should. This weighs heavy on me and made me wonder...Am I being respectful to my husband in front of them? Are my words to him criticizing? loving? Am I teaching my children to disrespect their father? These questions have been running through my head daily.

I have been reading many books on the wife's role and responsibility in a marriage and they have really opened my eyes and allowed me to see where I am lacking. I have made great improvements in the way that I treat and love my husband and our marriage seems stronger than ever. Now I want that for the boys and their father.


 However, let each one of you love his wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband.Ephesians 5:33



I spend the majority, if not the entire day with my kids (really just Liam now that school has started up) while James is working. He works so hard and I am extremely grateful for that. I feel that I am doing what the Lord has called me to do....raise these precious boys...and I love it. The problem however is the way they treat their dad when he gets home from work. I know how excited I am to see him so I would hope the boys would feel the same. If he tries to love on them or ask how their day goes they give the shortest possible response or cry for me. We both know they love their dad but I really want them to show him that they love him. I can not even imagine how i would feel if my boys reacted to me in such a way. I'd be heart broken...

So I ask you...What can I do to strengthen the bond between my boys and their dad. How can I get them to show love and Honor to him the way God wants? How can I build their father up in their eyes?

4 comments:

  1. Make a game of it , that every time he comes home you race to the door superexcited to see him . The boys will race you to get to him ! Then jump all over him with hugs and kissees. Everyone will gain something from it !

    ReplyDelete
  2. A couple of things come to mind here...
    1- Plan some surprises for Daddy. Ask the boys to help you come up with some things you can do together to give Daddy a nice surprise when he gets home. Now it need not be fancy; his favorite supper, a back rub that everybody helps with, putting his shoes away for him, sing him a song, etc. The point is to let THEM be the ones to come up with some ideas and put them into practice.

    2- BUILD HIM UP TO THEM!! I know you probably do this already, but do it more!! Talk throughout the day about how hard Daddy works FOR THEM, how much Daddy loves THEM, what a good Daddy they have, how much Daddies need lots of hugs and kisses to make their work easier.

    I don't know James' schedule, but if it allows for it, I would either have him take the boys to the playground/store alone, or you go somewhere and let them stay with him.
    Hope this helps!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mrs.Dawn! Torin loves to draw so maybe he'll want to make a nice picture for daddy when he gets home.

      Delete

Share Some Love & Leave A Comment